Pages



Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Introduction


Hey y'all -

I'm Lauren - the teacher behind the blog!

I've been teaching for four - going on five - years now, and it's just so funny how much you grow and change as a teacher throughout the years. My first year out of college, I taught 5th grade in a pretty diverse neighborhood. And boy, did those kids teach me A LOT. Fresh out of college, not so much as a clue knowing how to manage a class like I had, I still loved teaching and managed to make it bell to bell every day. Despite 90% of the kids being taller, bigger, and stronger than me, I survived the year and made my way down to 2nd grade, where I completely fell in love with the sweet babies and fun curriculum! 

I taught 2nd grade for three years, but decided it was best to make a change to a new school this year - goodbye looong hour drive to work! I'll now be teaching 12 minutes down the road, in a new county, in an area I've never taught - EIP. Eeeek! I'm so excited to start this new journey and chapter, and sharing my love for learning with y'all along the way!

A little more about me...


I'm married to my sweet and amazing husband, Cody. We've been married for a little over two years now, but have been together for about seven. Last December, we welcomed our sweet little girl into the world, Harper. (She's the biggest reason to get closer to home!) We live together in the Peach State. We especially love our Georgia Bulldogs and football season. Go Dawgs! We have two sweet fur babies, named Maci and Hank also!

Why the Flamingo Classroom?

When I first moved down to second grade, I finally had the chance to go all out and decorate and build my classroom the way I always dreamed. It was bright, it was colorful, it was warm and welcoming. Being new to the grade level, I heard some teachers talking about my classroom as I finished up last minute touches before my kids rolled in for Open House. Whispering how it was too much, I was a first year teacher, it'll never last. My somewhat new teacher heart was a little broken and jaded. I perked up to meet my new second grade babies, and all the doubts went away as soon as I saw them. My kids that year fell in love with my room, and were EXCITED about coming to school and learning. DOES IT GET BETTER THAN THAT?  Nope. :)

I chose 'The Flamingo Classroom' because I think classrooms should be bold, bright, and full of color. A home away from home, a space that promotes learning, confidence, and independence. A place that represents you as a teacher, a space that you AND your kids can be proud of. A place where you can stand tall and stand out, even when the others doubt you.




Stick around for awhile!
I'd love to hear from you. :)


No comments :

Post a Comment